Jenny Maguire elected TCDSU president in landslide 76% win

Maguire defeated joke candidate Ralph Balfe by 1,300 votes

Jenny Maguire has been elected as the next president of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) in a landslide win.

Maguire won the election in a landslide vote, securing 1,795 (76%) of the vote, while sole opponent Ralph Balfe received 481 (20%) votes. 85 (4%) voted to reopen the nominations.

There were 2,361 valid votes cast in the election with 96 being spoiled.

The former LGBT rights and gender equality officer will take over from incumbent László Molnárfi in June.

Following her victory, Maguire kissed Balfe to resounding applause.

Speaking to Trinity News following her victory, Maguire said: “Thank you to everyone who voted for me, thank you to my campaign managers, thank you to my Nana and my mam and all my family.”

“And thank you to every faggot, dyke and tranny, in Trinity College Dublin.”

Maguire ran on a platform of continuing the work of the current sabbatical team in taking the union in a “radical” direction. Her campaign has primarily focused on student workers, housing, and engagement.

This year’s presidential election was unique in its candidates, with Balfe promising to hire seagulls to force tourists off campus and replace the Campanile with a 1:1 replica of the Burj Khalifa.

Prior to the election, a poll of 724 students conducted by Trinity News saw Maguire secure 82% of first preference votes, while Balfe was predicted to win 14%.

Charlotte Kent

Charlotte Kent is the Co-News Editor at Trinity News and a Senior Freshman PPES Student.