Eoghan Gilroy elected TCDSU education officer with 65% of vote

Gilroy defeated opponent Sé Ó hEidghin by 804 votes

Eoghan Gilroy has been elected as the next education of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) with 65% of votes.

2,242 votes were casted, with Gilroy receiving 1,458 votes.

His opponent Sé Ó hEidhin received 654 votes and 130 students voted to reopen nominations (RON). 223 votes were spoiled.

Gilroy is a final year law and politics student. He has previously served in roles such as Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (AHSS) convenor and access Officer.

Gilroy will take over from the incumbent Education Officer Catherine Arnold at the end of term.

Speaking to Trinity News following the results, Gilroy said: “I’m in complete shock.”

He thanked everyone who voted for him and particularly thanked his friends Aoibheann, Isobel, Pam, Siofra and Elizabeth.

“Thank you in particular to my campaign manager Amy Cox for being the bestest and most loyal supporter there ever could be,” he said.

“Thank you to Sé also for running an amazing race and their campaign manager.”

He said he is excited to get “working for students”

Gilroy promises to “take the union out of House 6” and improve College’s approach to education, including increased availability of online classes and better regulation around the use of generative artificial intelligence. Gilroy has also promised to reply to students’ emails within one working day.

Polling carried out by Trinity News with 353 students last week indicated that Gilroy would receive 65.7%% of the vote.

Alan Nolan Wilson

Alan Nolan Wilson is the current News Analysis Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister Geography and History student. He previously served as Correspondent for College.