Trinity Musical Theatre win big at national intervarsities

The society won three of the top awards at the Musical Theatre Intervarsities

Trinity Musical Theatre (TMT) won three of the top awards at the Musical Theatre Intervarsities national competition, held this weekend in Mullingar. This comes just two weeks after they won Best Society in Trinity at the CSC Society of the Year Awards.

The society performed a 20 minute showcase of their production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street as their entry, with judges including former Britain’s Got Talent contestant Leah Barniville.

Barniville, speaking after the event, congratulated TMT for “the most incredible production of Sweeney Todd”, adding that she had to pick her jaw up off the floor after watching it.

The musical was directed by Luke Reid, with musical direction by Erica O’Reilly, and was vocally assisted by Philip Walsh. Megan Harte O’Kelly produced the performance, with Ali Lyons choreographing it.

Erica O’Reilly won individually for Best Musical Direction at the intervarsities, with TMT posting their reactions to the announcement on their Instagram story, calling it “deserved”.

O’Reilly previously won Best Individual at the CSC Society of the Year Awards, held two weeks ago, alongside the late Jack O’Grady, a member of the St. Vincent de Paul society.

Furthermore, Colm Lombard won second place in the Best Performer category for his role as the titular Sweeney Todd.

TMT won the Best Ensemble category for the third year in a row, having won last year for their rendition of Cabaret and the year previous for Mamma Mia. Finally, they won the biggest award of the night, Best Overall Show, this time for the second year in a row.

Luke Reid, director of the production, said that despite he “cannot be more grateful to the team who saw (his) vision and matched (his) passion” for the show.

“I am filled with so much pride in what (the cast) have done with this piece and what I saw on stage”, he continued, concluding that he “couldn’t have asked for more” from them.

TMT was up against similar societies and clubs from universities and colleges in Dublin, Galway, Belfast, Maynooth and Limerick.