Five things that happened at TCDSU Council

Council talked about the Cut the Rent movement and Anti-Racism Working Group

Everything you need to know about what went on at the third meeting of the year of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council.

1.  Backing for Cut the Rent 

Council voted to mandate the union to support the Cut the Rent campaign, having previously voted not to support the movement last month. The motion, states that TCDSU will  “adopt a formal, committed stance in support of the Cut the Rent movement” that will involve “active participation in the campaign and standing with [the group’s] members”. Cut the Rent have called on students in College operated accommodation to take part in a rent strike whereby they would withhold the second instalment of this year’s rent unless their demands have met. 

2. Accommodation Motions

Council voted to adopt a formal opposition to rent increases and to oppose rent increases when they are brought to college committees that the union’s sabbatical officers sit on. They voted for a separate motion to mandate the union to lobby the government to invest in publicly funded purpose built accommodation and lobby for the implementation of legislation to financially protect students living in such accommodation.

3. Gender Neutral Bathrooms

A motion to renew the union’s policy to lobby College for gender neutral bathrooms in every building in college and ensure gender neutral bathrooms be available at SU events “where feasible” was withdrawn so that an updated motion could be brought to the next council which will include a line about making the bathrooms accessible for students with disabilities.

4.   Climate Strike

Members of Trinity Extinction Rebellion spoke to council about an upcoming Climate Strike on Friday November 29, inviting students to take part. This action is scheduled to take place on the last day of lectures for this term.

5. Anti-Racism Working Group

Council voted to establish an anti-racism working group to act as a liaison group between the various ant-racist groups on campus. The group will be chaired by the ethnic minorities officer, with the President and Welfare officers sitting on the group. In addition, a representative of each of the cultural societies on campus will be invited to sit on the committee. It shall meet every month or in reaction to a racist event on campus.

An earlier version of this article stated that a motion on gender neutral bathrooms was voted down, when it was instead withdrawn. The article was updated to amend this error at 11:30am, November 19.