An American adventure that was not to be

Amy Doyle regrets the impact of Covid-19 on her hopes to travel to America on a J-1 Visa this summer

Summer was approaching. After two semesters of assignments, all-nighters and assessments, soon it would be time for a well-deserved break, which then begged the question: how did you intend to spend your months off? Travelling, relaxing, working – these are just some options that come to mind when thinking about one’s summer. For plenty of college students, myself included, summer brings with it an unparalleled eagerness to embark on an adventure. That is exactly how I planned to spend my summer in 2020: working and travelling while on a J-1 Visa in the United States. 

The J-1 Visa allows students to explore the States through a cultural exchange programme in which they secure an international summer job alongside experiencing American culture. Touching down for a J-1 summer is rumoured to be an epic event, from the initial glimpses of iconic city skylines out of an aeroplane window to the thrill of starting a new job and exploring an unfamiliar country. Nearly every college student has fantasised at least once about lounging on a beach in the warm Californian sun or visiting the Empire State Building like a quintessential tourist in New York City.

“A summer of all work and hardly any play in 2019 made my decision to go to America on a J-1 a very simple one.”

A summer of mostly work and hardly any play the previous summer made my decision to go to America on a J-1 a very simple one. Popular jobs include waitressing, bartending and internships, but after much contemplation, I decided it would be most beneficial for me to work as a summer camp counsellor. Fellow students praised Americamp with regard to their services and the opportunities they provided for post-camp travel, not to mention their endless supply of free biscuits. Despite what was to come, choosing Americamp as my organising company was not a decision I came to regret.

The summer of 2020 was expected to be the summer of a lifetime. Instead, it became the summer of my nightmares. Concerns surrounding the J-1 programme multiplied with the exponential growth of new coronavirus cases. The organising company was bombarded with questions from the other counsellors and me. To their credit, Americamp managed the situation adroitly by dedicating a page on their website to answering coronavirus-related questions. The page was frequently updated in accordance with evolving government restrictions. The managers of the individual camps posted continuously in their respective Facebook groups, informing us of any changes in both Ireland and America and explaining what they meant for us hopeful J-1-ers. The regular updates and constant support eliminated some of my worries.

“I still hoped for a hiatus from the normality of everyday life and to plunge into a new adventure in the land of stars and stripes.” 

Nevertheless, several issues remained unresolved, the biggest one being whether the exchange would go ahead or not. A cloud of uneasiness hung over my head at the uncertainty of the whole situation. I was hesitant to book flights. I worried about the costly price of medical bills if I became infected with Covid-19 while I was in America. I feared that I would be unable to get home if another lockdown was put in place in the States. I was so stressed that I considered cancelling or deferring my place on the programme. Yet, I still hoped for a hiatus from the normality of everyday life and to plunge into a new adventure in the land of stars and stripes. However, when the director of College Settlement, the camp I would be working at, notified us that it was unsafe to open due to the surge in cases in Pennsylvania and New York, it put an end to any lingering hopes.

Americamp supported us in every way they possibly could once we received this announcement. We were given the option of transferring the fees we had already paid in order to fund the 2021 programme. Accommodation, insurance, and meals were included in the price; I had no deposit on housing to lose. Luckily, I had not bought flights and I was unable to commence the visa application process, so I did not lose any money. However, if we wished not to defer the place, we were promised a full refund instead. The company was very reasonable about the situation, understanding it was completely out of anyone’s control. The situation could not have been handled any better and I am now eagerly awaiting a trip to America in 2021.

“A baseball game in Philadelphia, a street party on Independence Day, sightseeing in New York and a post-camp holiday across America to Canada are just some of the escapades that were in store for me on my J-1 Visa this summer.”

I am devastated about the cancellation of the programme. I longed to embrace traditional summer camp experiences like roasting s’mores in a campfire. I was counting down the days until I could immerse myself in American culture. A baseball game in Philadelphia, a street party on Independence Day, sightseeing in New York and a post-camp holiday across America to Canada are just some of the escapades that were in store for me on my J-1 Visa this summer. Instead, my summer will be spent working a part-time job, creating memories with my friends and appreciating all there is to do in Ireland. My summer will be a lot less exciting than I had anticipated, but I do intend to make the most of it.

Although it cannot be helped, the situation is regrettable. Heading Stateside for a J-1 is a rite of passage for many, and one that many Irish students will not have the opportunity to experience. For myself and many other students, missing out on one stupendous summer abroad is not as terrible as it may seem. We can embark on our great American adventure next summer. However, for final year students, the feeling might be different. Graduating from university often leaves students with a lack of routine and forces them to face the pressure of finding their first graduate job. Understandably, the excitement surrounding a J-1 summer might fizzle out, potentially denying final year students one of the most memorable experiences that one can have during their time at university. In any case, this year, the choice wasn’t a choice at all. It was beyond our control. Hopefully next year we’ll be free to decide again and to finally embark on our postponed adventure.