Euro-Summer is out, and Euro-Winter is in

Amelia Flynn guides us through 2023’s most student-friendly Christmas markets

Although this summer we were all bombarded with an influx of American, Australian, and other international influencers’ take on Euro-Summer across our social media pages,  Europe has just as much to offer several months later when all the leaves have fallen (and we are that bit closer to saying goodbye to our sanity as assignment deadlines approach…). 

But don’t let the bureaucracy of exam season get you down. Instead, create a light at the end of the tunnel; book a snowy trip to Prague, Budapest, or Krakow to indulge in some festive fun and get in the Christmas spirit.

Below is a comprehensive list of budget-friendly winter getaways. From flights and accommodation to the overall cost of living, these three European cities simply scream winter wonderland. However, please keep in mind all prices may be subject to change from the date of writing. 

Prague: the enchanting city born straight from Hans Christian Anderson’s imagination…

First, we travel to Prague, Czechia’s capital and largest city. The buildings in the old town could be mistaken for huge gingerbread houses and the Church of Our Lady Before Tyn is said to have inspired Sleeping Beauty’s castle! There is no better setting for a Christmas market. 

To get to Prague, Aer Lingus offers the cheapest flights. If you fly from December 18-20, your round trip will set you back about €154, including a 10kg bag. I appreciate this is not cheap, but these countries are extremely popular this time of year.

This famously well-priced city is the epitome of Christmas all year”

This famously well-priced city is the epitome of Christmas all year, with small Christmas shops open constantly, even during the summer months. All this festive spirit comes to a head in November and December. The market itself sits proudly in the old town square and offers a variety of traditional Czech food and drink, from pints for under €3 to svarak, a citrussy, Czech take on mulled wine. If it is crafts you are after, the stalls are well-equipped with trinkets and hand-blown glass decorations. For some musical entertainment, you can venture to one of the many famous jazz bars the city has to offer. Often tucked away in underground settings, these bars are usually free to enter and always supply live music! There is also a good tram system if the weather is not walk-friendly. 

In terms of accommodation, hostels are the cheapest option. Prague Dream Hostel and Hostel Homer both offer mixed dorms for less than €20 a night and private rooms for around €60.  

Budapest: ranked as Europe’s best Christmas market 

Moving on to Budapest, we find what has been voted Europe’s best Christmas market for three years running: Basilica Christmas Market. As well as crafts, the market is hugely focused on gastronomy; anyone for goulash? In addition to this, there are other free-of-charge spectacles to enjoy. A laser light show and movies will be projected onto the Basilica for everyone to enjoy.  

If you somehow find yourself bored of this fabulous bazaar, there’s another one in Vörösmarty Square! This offers all the charm you would expect from Budapest’s oldest Christmas market. Here you can indulge in one of the many free concerts as well as all the other classic stalls and merchandise you would expect.

“This is arguably the closest one could get to living out their winter wonderland fantasies while overlooking historic buildings which are perched at the lakeside”

If you travel beyond the market scene you may find yourself ice-skating on Lake Vároligeti, which is free for children and €4 midweek but €6 on weekends for adults. This is arguably the closest one could get to living out their winter wonderland fantasies while overlooking historic buildings which are perched at the lakeside. 

You can travel here with Ryanair for approximately €114 return from December 11-13 or the 18-20 (with a layover) for €136 return. The cheap accommodation certainly takes the sting out of flight prices, with hostels such as Avenue Hostel and Hive Party Hostel for less than €30 for two nights, including breakfast. However, even Airbnbs are less expensive here and will only set you back between €25-€50 per night for a central apartment close to the river, castle, and transport links such as trams and metro.

Krakow: for Europe’s best value Christmas market experience…

Finally we journey to the city has been praised as Europe’s best value Christmas market experience: Krakow. This marvellous Polish city is home to Rynek Glowney, Europe’s biggest mediaeval plaza,which is also where you can find Krakow’s Christmas market. Younger crowds and students are often drawn to the city for its low prices (and cheap vodka). This place is perfect for sampling some pierogi dumplings or partaking in some carolling. The young crowds give the market a quirkier, fun feel.

“With a live nativity scene involving real camels and a band, it’s a fantastic way to kick off the Christmas hysteria you will inevitably be travelling home to”

Although the official opening of the market may be a little too early (last week of November) for some to start watching Elf and putting up a tree, the grand opening is not something you want to miss. With a live nativity scene involving real camels and a band, it’s a fantastic way to kick off the Christmas hysteria you will inevitably be travelling home to

There are over 100 venders that supply food, drinks, and gifts, but if none of this takes your fancy, the city offers lots of alternative food options. The traditional Milk Bars (reminiscent of the country’s communist history) offer a canteen-style dining experience for between €4-€6 per person. But if you are looking for something else, you can find what are rated average/good restaurant experiences with meals cheaper than the cost of a sandwich within a 5km radius of Trinity….

It’s not just food that you can get for a decent price here, but accommodation too. Hostels will of course be the cheapest option, but there is always the possibility of a hotel or aparthotel for a more private experience, starting at less than €45 a night.  

Ryanair offers cheap connecting flights from €98 for return flights on December 11-13 or from December 18-20 for just under €200 (once again with layovers).  

I believe that any of the aforementioned options are respectable choices for your festive getaway. All these cities are sure to offer a magical experience and satiate everyone’s festive craving this December.