Trinity rises nine places in Times Higher Education World University Rankings

College has risen to 155 in the 2021 rankings, up from 164 in the rankings last year

Trinity has risen nine places in the latest Times Higher Education World University Rankings, maintaining the status of Ireland’s leading university.

College has risen to 155 in the 2021 rankings, up from 164 in the rankings last year.

According to the press release, this year’s result was helped by a “strong performance” in research, which is one of the main categories on which the overall score is based.

Previously this year, Trinity also rose in the QS World University Rankings to joint 101st, rising seven places from the previous year.

Speaking on the rise in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Dean of Research at Trinity, Professor Linda Doyle, said: “We are delighted to see Trinity College Dublin improving its position in this global metric.”

Professor Doyle continued: “Excellence in research lies at the heart of our identity as a university and has a fundamental influence on our teaching.”

“This speaks to the quality of our researchers, who are excelling in difficult times in which funding is harder to come by than ever,” she added. 

Despite rising overall in the rankings earlier this year, Trinity fell in QS World University Rankings across all five broad subjects, falling out of the top 50 universities in the world for Arts and Humanities, and out of the top 100 for Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, and Social Sciences and Management. 

The Times Higher Education performance indicators are grouped in five main areas, such as teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income. 

This is the first time in the last few years that Trinity has risen in world rankings after falling consistently for the last three years in both QS and Times Higher Education rankings. 

College has previously sought to blame the decline on a lack of public funding for higher education in Ireland.