DU Real Estate Society sends off for CSC approval

After originally causing controversy, the proposed society has received 200 signatures needed for CSC approval

The proposed Dublin University (DU) Real Estate Society has officially submitted their petition with 200 student signatures, which is needed for the Central Societies’ Committee (CSC) to approve the society. 

The proposed real estate society originally caused controversy for some students, with several expressing concern about the proposal on Twitter. 

Despite the controversy, the proposed DU Real Estate Society has received the 200 signatures needed for CSC approval, receiving 150 of those signatures in the first day according to the co-founders of that society.

Speaking to Trinity News, co-founders and co-presidents Harry Williams and Oscar Vernon said they were “delighted” to receive the signatures needed in a short period of time, adding that it was “very encouraging to know we have a wide support base”. 

“This fills us with confidence for our upcoming events,” the co-presidents continued. “Three weeks ago we advertised for committee positions and again were encouraged by the high volume of applicants.”

Earlier this month, one student took to Twitter to say that having a student in their course group chat “earnestly asking” for signatures for the proposed society and “not being immediately laughed out” is “the worst thing I have experienced” during their time at Trinity.

The proposed society has confirmed their committee for the upcoming year, with members who come from a “wide range of courses and backgrounds”.

“We’re very excited to have a diverse committee with many of our members from abroad and rural backgrounds,” co-founder and treasurer added. “As a first generation college student from a farming background, I am particularly excited about making Trinity students from non-traditional backgrounds aware of the opportunities in real estate.”

The proposed society will not have CSC provisional recognition, however, until January when CSC meet to discuss proposed societies.

Despite this, the first of the proposed DU Real Estate Society’s events is on Wednesday, with several speakers from CBRE expected to speak at the event.

Speaking about their inaugural event, co-presidents Oscar Verdon and Harry Williams said: “The CBRE panel discussion is a fantastic start to our year; CBRE is an industry leading fortune 500 company, which offers promising career options to students.”

The proposed society also has a range of future events planned, including a talk from Savills UK and an address from Mark Fitzgerald (founder of Sherry Fitzgerald), while a Renter’s Rights Workshop and a sustainable living event are also “in the pipeline”. 

The CSC requires proposed societies to submit a proposal with 200 student signatures, before being granted provisional recognition as a society.