GSU candidate John Tighe raises concerns over “serious irregularities” in election process

Results in the GSU sabbatical elections were expected to be released at 12pm but are so far delayed

Graduates Students Union (GSU) President candidate John Tighe has raised concerns over “serious irregularities” in the counting of votes in GSU sabbatical elections.

Results of the elections were due to be released at 12pm today. The University Times reported that delays were due to Oversight Officer David Donohue “writing an analysis” of the results, which is “standard practice” in the union. Donohue did not specify the nature of the analysis.

On his official campaign Twitter page, Tighe wrote at 1:45pm that “these are some serious irregularities with the results, and there are serious questions that need to be answered”.

Speaking to Trinity News, Tighe expressed his frustration with the delay saying “if they said the results should be out at midday, they should be out at midday”.

It’s not fair on the candidates mental health, as waiting for results can be an anxious time” he continued.

“I have sat on the EC [Electoral Commission] as chair on two separate occasions, and on neither occasion did I write out any sort of analysis before producing the results.”

Tighe also labelled Donohue’a decision to write an analysis before releasing the results as “most irregular”

“I have sat on the EC as chair on two separate occasions, and on neither occasion did I write out any sort of analysis before producing the results.”

At time of writing, no results have been published.

Tighe, who previously served as the union’s Oversight Officer, is running against incumbent president Gisele Scanlon.

After a controversial EGM in April, two separate petitions were launched calling for votes of no confidence in Scanlon and Vice President Abhisweta Bhattacharjee. Bhattacharjee is seeking re-election unopposed.

Trinity News has contacted Donohue, Scanlon, and Bhattacharjee for comment.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.

Sarah Emerson

Sarah Emerson is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Sophister English Literature and Jewish and Islamic Civilizations Student.