Library services to be unavailable this Thursday

Library services to be reduced as systems undergo maintenance

The Library is encouraging students and staff to make requests, inter-library loans and borrowing materials before a service interruption later this week when these Library services are to be reduced or unavailable. 

A “complete system downtime” is needed from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM this Thursday. New loans, renewals and fine payments are expected to be unavailable at library counters, as well as at the self-service FastLane machines. Students will not be able to log in to their library accounts, view items on loan, renew checkouts, place stack requests or pay fines.

Laptop lending in the Library is also expected to be inaccessible during the downtime. Stack requests cannot be made and materials will not be available for lending or consultation during the downtime. The Library Catalogue, including Stella Search and the Classic Catalogue, is also set to be down.

Several services are still expected to be operational within the Library. For those unable to renew or return items, the Library is extending lending periods for books due back on Thursday 20 and Friday 21 to Monday 24.

Books can still be returned to library counters, and access to online resources is to continue to be available via the Databases and E-Books Library website. E-journals can be accessed via the Full Text Finder and BrowZine. The COPAC catalogue is available to search for library books and print journals. Short Loan materials can be borrowed for use within the library.

The service interruption is to allow “essential disaster recovery testing” to take place on the Library Management System (LMS). The LMS supports the Library’s catalogue, book circulation, cataloguing systems and more.

The program received a server upgrade before the start of the term. The upgrade works to restore the stability of the LMS, while minimizing the risk of future service interruptions, and maintain system security. Upgrading the system also allows the opportunity to implement improved functionality and services in the Library.

Elle Buckvold

Elle Buckvold is a staff writer at Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister History and Geography student.