Pulp fiction at the Lighthouse

Trinity Ents and Players present the a cult classic movie

As the dark evenings stretch longer and longer accompanied by the bitter frost of winter nights, I’ve slowly discovered that my will to “go out” is diminishing alongside the dusky and mystic weather of autumn.

No longer was I prepared to face the streets of Dublin, clad in a frock and heels- at least not with the prospect of rain and hail to undertake. Perhaps this realisation occurred to you long before me, perhaps going out simply may never have been your social scene of choice. But what to do instead, to fill our evenings with more appropriate recreations?

The answer came to me in a Facebook notification; an Ent’s and Players  invitation to see perhaps one of the most iconic movies of all time.

I was no stranger to Quentin Tarantino’s epic tour de force ‘Pulp Fiction’; a movie that redefined the nineties with its postmodern touch. With a star studded cast and some punchy one liners, for the past 24 years, Pulp Fiction has been a touchstone film in any cinema goers book.

You know the lines without having seen the movie, you recognise the Blockbuster font adorned on t-shirts, you recognise the same, repetitive tattoos of Mia and Vincent dancing. The legacy of Pulp Fiction is more than a movie: it’s practically a culture.

Screened in The Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield, a calming yet artful setting worthy of a luas fare, this was a night ideal for all. With Ent’s simultaneously raising funds for ‘No shave November’ a prominent cancer charity, the crowds settled into the plush seats, armed with a variation of bottles, soft drinks and overflowing tubs of popcorn.

The atmosphere swelled with mixed emotions: apprehension in the cases of those unchristened to Tarantino’s dark humour and anticipation in the faces of those versed in his practice.

As the lights dimmed and the movie began, the audience was met by three hours of humour, John Travolta and a copious amount of fake blood that are essential to every Tarantino flick. Laughter was widespread, especially from the guy 5 seats over, whose chuckles echoed throughout the theatre every time someone was shot – and believe me that happened a lot!

The energetic soundtrack was accompanied by the occasional cracking of cans, the crunching of popcorn and the whispers of die-hard fans, quoting the much renowned lines of Ezekiel 25:17 alongside Samuel Jackson. This was a moment of shared harmony and unity, a chance to sit down, relax and smile amongst friends.

As the movie drew to a close, viewers flowed from the cinema in a contented crowd either continuing on to the neon lights of WigWam to continue their night, or simply heading home.

In whichever case, it was clear to all that the collaboration of Ents and Players could only be described as a successful event that united students of all interests for a night that will hopefully become a tradition for all to attend.

This was no ordinary cinema experience, but as Vincent Vega remarked “It’s the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it’s just — it’s just there it’s a little different.”

Mairéad McCarthy

Mairéad McCarthy is a former Deputy Life Editor for Trinity News.