Stating the obvious at Trinity Ball lineup launch

Somewhat lacking in suspense, Trinity Ents announced the Trinity Ball lineup with a relaxed night of craic agus electronic ceoil

The last week of term kicked off with the Trinity Ball Launch. For  5 euro, 50 students got exclusive first access to the announcement of this year’s lineup, as well as the added bonus of Tesco lager and the DJ stylings of Ents Officer Jonah Craig and DUDJ.

With leaked reports of George Ezra headlining and three acts already announced, students weren’t expecting big surprises and there wasn’t much suspense in the air. Trinity Ents’ goal seemed to be providing a fun, chill way to announce the well-known.

The GMB was lit dark red with people arriving at a slowish pace. The cans and wine bottles were arranged neatly into the word “ENTS”, as it’s universally known that it’s not a party at the GMB unless one elaborately arranges the drink. But like most events in Trinity, Dublin, and Ireland in general, a good half an hour was needed before any party actually started. By 8pm, the GMB was packed with people socialising and speculating about the lineup. It wasn’t long before the reveal began.

Every five minutes or so, new acts were projected on to the GMB blinds. The bit-by-bit reveal built suspense and gave guests time to whoop in approval or in some cases (mine) look confused at a name they weren’t cool enough to recognise. The first names we revealed were staples of Trinity Ball such as the Trinity Orchestra and Trinitones.

As it went on the acts became more well-known ranging from Fangclub, Dublin’s up and coming grunge rockers, to Circa Waves, the English band known for the summery indie hit “T-Shirt Weather”. The lineup also included the already announced Jax Jones as well as IAMDBB, who’s been predicted as English Hip-Hop’s next breakout star, whose famous fans include Bryson Tiller and Jorja Smith.

When George Ezra was projected on screen it came as no great shock to anyone in the crowd, the “Budapest” and “Blame It on Me” singer already graced the top of the fake Trinity Ball lineup that spread over social media. Both Ezra and the Trinitones nabbed slots on both posters. Even though most of the acts were either previously announced, leaked or easily guessed, the lineup launch seemed to achieve its goal.

It managed to generate ‘TBall buzz’ among its guests with its relaxed yet social atmosphere and by giving us a taste of what’s to come with great tunes from the Trinity Ball act DUDJ.