Trinity Sport Centre reopens with social distancing, online booking, and reduced hours

Changing rooms and shower facilities remain closed

Trinity Sport Centre and its outdoor campus facilities have reopened today with reduced operating hours and new social distancing measures in place.

A one-way system has been introduced for entering and exiting the gym, which must be accessed through the Westland Row gate. Members are being asked to adhere to the two-metre social distancing markers and directional arrows.

The centre has introduced a new online booking system to control the number of members using its facilities to maintain social distancing.

1 hour gym slots can be reserved each day using the booking system. Users are only allowed to book one session a day, and slots last one hour with a 15-minute gap in order to clean the equipment.

Bookings can be made 24 hours in advance, and users will only be able to enter the Sport Centre with a Membership Card and previously made booking.

In a video shared to social media on Monday, Dublin University Central Athletics Club (DUCAC) Administrator Aidan Kavanagh said the centre is “delighted to announce that we are going to be reopening our facilities.”

“We’ve made some positive changes for our staff and our customers to keep you safe while using our facilities,” Kavanagh said.

Changing rooms, showering facilities, as well as the pool and sauna remain closed. Water fountains are out of operation and fitness mats will not be provided by the gym.

Members have been asked to arrive prepared for their workout and to bring their own personal towel and water. It is advised to leave immediately after finishing a session.

Sanitation stations are present upon entering the gym and throughout the centre. It is advised to take use of provided sanitation equipment frequently, particularly the use of provided anti-bacterial sprays to clean equipment before and after use.

The centre has reduced its opening hours to 7am until 2.30pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 2pm to 9:30pm on Tuesday and Thursday, and 10am to 5.30pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Shannon McGreevy

Shannon McGreevy is the Online Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Biochemistry.