Module enrolment to open after beginning of term for hundreds of students

Students who sat deferred exams or completed Hilary Term abroad last year will not be able to enroll in modules until September 14

Students who deferred or resat exams, or who completed last semester abroad, have been notified by College that module enrollment for the upcoming academic year will open on Wednesday, September 14, two days after teaching begins.

Teaching for returning students for the upcoming term begins on Monday, September 12.

Students who sat their exams in May this year were invited to register for modules on Wednesday, August 10.

Students affected by the delay received an email yesterday informing them of the module enrollment timeline. The email did not acknowledge the delay to teaching for these students.

The delay means that students will not know what modules they are taking until after the term begins, or receive a timetable, with many missing classes which begin before they are enrolled in them.

A senior sophister student who completed Hilary term on Erasmus told Trinity News: “Knowing what classes I’m doing before the start of term in my final year feels like a fair expectation.”

They continued: “The fact that module choice always seems to have the same kind of problems makes it feel like they learn nothing which is unfair on us and also the College administrator who has to deal with a flurry of emails on it every year.”

A delayed start to module enrollment for students who deferred exams last year meant that many missed out on their first choice of modules, despite having been told that they would not be penalised if they chose to do so.

In some courses, students have been told that modules held places during general registration for students who were sitting resits.

Trinity News has contacted College for comment.

Teaching for returning students begins on September 12, while Freshers’ Week for incoming first year students begins September 19. Teaching for first year students will begin on September 26.