Presidential candidate Zöe Cummins struck from the ballot

Current Education Officer Zöe Cummins has been disqualified, the EC has confirmed to Trinity News

Education Officer Zöe Cummins has been struck from the ballot for the students’ union presidential race.

A statement from the Electoral Commission (EC) this morning stated that Cummins had been disqualified in accordance with Section 4.7 of Schedule 3 of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) election regulations.

Section 4.7 states that “verbal, physical, online or other forms of attack or intimidation used against other candidates, members of the Electoral Commission or any student or staff member” will result in the immediate disqualification of a candidate.

The EC added: “Due to the highly sensitive nature of this matter and out of respect for the privacy of those involved, the Electoral Commission will not be providing further comment.”

“The Electoral Commission reminds candidates, their campaign teams, and students that the dignity and respect of all members of the college community is of the utmost importance and must be upheld throughout the election period,” the statement continued.

“Any questions or concerns regarding this should be directed to [email protected] or [email protected].”

Cummins has told Trinity News that she intends to appeal the EC’s decision at this evening’s meeting of Council. An EC decision may be overturned by a vote by members of Council.

Trinity News is awaiting further comment.

The Chair of the Oversight Commission (OC) confirmed that there is an ongoing OC investigation but would neither confirm nor deny whether this was into the conduct of the Education Officer.

Trinity News has also contacted Cummins’ campaign manager Seán Lysaght for a comment.

Campaigning for sabbatical officer elections will continue until March 2. Voting will take place from February 28 to March 2. Election results will be announced that evening.

How are you planning to vote in the election? Fill out Trinity News’ poll and help us understand how students feel.

David Wolfe

David Wolfe is a Junior Sophister student of History and Political Science. He is the current Social Media and Managing Editor of Trinity News, having previously served as News Editor, Assistant News Editor and copyeditor.