“No business as usual during a genocide”: Trinity BDS disrupt public meeting led by vice provost

The consultation meeting was cut short following the disruption

Trinity Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) interrupted a staff consultation meeting held this afternoon in the Arts Building in protest of College’s ties to Israeli organisations.

Staff were gathered in the Synge Theater for a consultation regarding College’s 2025-2030 Strategic Plan. The event was cut short due to the protest.

Security was called to the theatre however no physical altercations took place.

Protesters entered the meeting shortly after 3 pm and sat in a row at the back of the theatre.

The interruption began when one protester asked if College plans on “divesting from Israel during this five year strategic plan,” adding that College is “complicit in investing in UN blacklisted firms”.

Protesters held Palestinian flags and chanted “Trinity College Dublin you can’t hide, you’re supporting genocide”.

Speaking at the demonstration, Trinity College Dublin Student Union (TCDSU) President-elect Jenny Maguire said: “Trinity prides itself on its fight for the environment and yet has investments with illegal solar panels within the West Bank.”

“When are we going to stop this green washing and engage in a college that works for everyone, not just for profit,” she added.

Another protester asked when College is going to consult Academics for Palestine on their hopes for the five year plan.

TCDSU President László Molnárfi said: “Students and staff have been throughout the year asking College for action. Over 400 staff members have signed open letters. Students have consistently protested. We have received nothing but silence.”

“The argument that is given by Trinity College Dublin is that ‘we are holding space for differing opinions’. We students and staff ask how can college hold space, how can a human hold space for genocide and for the slaughter of innocent men women and children.”

“We will continue to disrupt, we will continue to shut down events, we will blockade the Book of Kells, we will continue until college divests,” he added.

During the event research assistant Lamia Tadjine, who was attending the event independently, declared her support for the protest adding that she feels “very disappointed in the lack of action of action that college has taken in terms of standing up to genocide”.

She later joined the demonstrators in holding up Palestinian flags.

Following the event another member of staff told Trinity News that while they were not aware of the event beforehand they were in “full support of it”.

In a statement to Trinity News, College confirmed that event would be rescheduled for another time but did not provide further comment.

Charlotte Kent

Charlotte Kent is the Co-News Editor at Trinity News and a Senior Freshman PPES Student.