Trinity News sweeps with 20 nominations at the 2024 Student Media Awards

Trinity News received nominations including Newspaper of the Year and three for Journalist of the Year

Trinity News received 20 nominations at the 2024 National Student Media Awards (Smedias), including Newspaper of the Year.

Staff covering current affairs, sport, science and culture were recognised by the annual award celebrating across 39 categories.

Along with Newspaper of the Year, Trinity News was also nominated for Website of the Year.

Editor-in-Chief Kate Henshaw was nominated for Editor of the Year.

Deputy News Editor Aoibhinn Clancy has been nominated for Journalist of the Year, while Deputy News Analysis Editor Gabriela Gazaniga has been nominated for Journalist of the Year – National Media.

Trinity News dominated the Feature Writer of the Year: News and Current Affairs Award, with Feature Editor Ruby Topalian, Deputy Feature Editor Sam Walsh and contributing writer Hazel Mulkeen receiving three out of five nominations.

Trinity News staff have received two nominations for collaborative journalism, with Gabriela Gazaniga and David Wolfe nominated for their article on College’s ties with Israel and Ellen Kenny and David Wolfe nominated for their piece on students stuck on campus overnight during the Dublin riots in November 2023.

Life Editor Abby Cleaver was nominated for Journalism Relating to Road Safety and was nominated for Journalism Relating to Travel for work outside Trinity News.

Arts & Culture Editor Jayna Roshlau also received two nominations for Satirical Writer of the Year and Short Story of the Year.

Social Media Deputy Editor Aideen Lanigan and Jack Delaney were nominated for the newly-created Virgin Media Digital Content Creator Award.

Sports Co-Editors Jane Prendergast and Séaghan Ó Domhnalláin were nominated for Sports Writer of the Year.

Henshaw said she was “absolutely delighted that Trinity News has been recognised in this way by the national student media awards”.

“Our staff have put a huge amount of work into the paper this year so I am very proud that the staff have had that work recognised on a national level. We received a record breaking number of nominations,” she said.

“The nomination for Newspaper of the Year in particular emphasises how hard all of the staff have worked to make the paper such a success. I am really looking forward to the awards and wishing all Trinity News nominees the best of luck.”

Last year, Trinity News won Website of the Year. Trinity News last won Newspaper of the Year in 2015.

The National Student Media Awards has for the past 23 years celebrated student journalists from colleges and universities across the country. There are 39 categories of awards to celebrate student broadcast media ranging from newspaper of the year to radio DJ of the year.

The award ceremony will be held tonight at the Mansion House on Dawson Street.

Madison Pitman

Madison Pitman is a Deputy News Editor and is currently in her second year studying Law with a minor in Political Science.