College reopens Kinsella Hall and 1937 Reading Room amid BDS encampment

College said that the reopening is “in part” due to assurances from TCDSU that the protest will remain peaceful

College has announced the reopening of the 1937 Reading Room and Kinsella Hall amid the ongoing encampment by Trinity Boycott Divestment Sanction (TCD BDS) and Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU).

In an email to students and staff, College said the reopening is “in part due to what the SU President said in his email yesterday that the BDS encampment is a peaceful protest”.

TCDSU President László Molnárfi criticised College for restricting access to the libraries, sports facilities and other buildings on campus.

“There is no reasoning behind the decision to close the library, reading rooms, sports centre, etc. and cancel all events,” he said in an email.

“We are a handful of peaceful protestors in Fellows’ Square who pose no risk whatsoever to other students or staff.”

College closed facilities yesterday, saying it “felt it was necessary following calls for external groups to join the encampment protest, and the protest outside Front Gate this afternoon”.

“College claimed they “regret” closing all college services but said “the safety of all is our priority and unfortunately it has had a direct impact on our students and staff”.

The encampment by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and TCD BDS began at 8.30pm last night in Fellows Square when approximately 60 students set up tents.

The protesters are calling on College to cut its ties to Israeli institutions such as Tel Aviv University, as well as institutions blacklisted by the United Nations.

Gabriela Gazaniga

Gabriela Gazaniga is the Deputy Editor of News Analysis and is currently in her Junior Sophister year earning a degree in Law.