Brothers and sisters in solidarity: TCD Sorority

Trinity News speaks to the newest addition to the emerging presence of Greek Life on campus, TCD Sorority

In the final weeks of Hilary term, it is often a time when Facebook is a flurry of AGMs before students head off for the summer. One society that is hoping to gain recognition in these final few weeks is TCD Sorority. This society will bring “Greek life” to College in an official capacity. Greek life is an American phenomenon defined by a series of fraternities and sororities that were set up to house and support a select number of students who meet the features of each fraternity or sorority’s ethos. Speaking to the founding members of the committee, Trinity News got a glimpse of what was behind forming this particular sisterhood.

There has been an increased focus on secret societies and what happens within them on campus recently. Considering this scrutiny, TCD Sorority were originally unsure of the reaction they would receive, which is why they considered running their events in secret. When asked about how the status and activities of organisations like the Knights of Campanile compare to their own, TCD Sorority were quick to establish that they are not a society which accepts only one gender. Describing the Knights of the Campanile as an “exclusive, men’s only secretive group,” they hope “to empower men and women”. They do, however, recognise how their own establishment may be considered reactionary to male-only clubs. Nevertheless, TCD Sorority wishes to promote values and events that redefine the relationships of student members of the society.

“We’re not just a society, we’re a siblinghood”

The motivations for establishing the society, and the foundations on which it is built, aim to also promote philanthropy. The sorority wish to be understood as a philanthropic society which is rooted in inclusivity, and builds strong relationships among students: “We’re not just a society, we’re a siblinghood.” The sorority have not made clear what their charitable work will entail yet, but so far they have held two public events; a meet-up in the Rose Garden on March 20 for an information session, followed by Wine Wednesdays on March 27 in the Pav. The society also placed great emphasis on the necessity to create an enjoyable experience for their members through the organisation of various miscellaneous activities. They aim to hold events to include “pot lucks, DJ nights, car washes, wine nights, movie nights”. This week in Trinity, they will be holding a Tranquil Tuesday at 12pm in the Rose Garden, with meditation and friendship bracelets, followed by another wine night in the Pav on Wednesday.

Although the society is straying from the traditional concept of a sorority as an all-female sisterhood, its essence is the same in that it desires to achieve the closeness of a sibling-like connection among its members. Despite the culture of hazing within Greek life, TCD Sorority wants to avoid this and replicate what it feels is the true purpose of such organisations: “Our decision to set up the sorority was mostly due to seeing the close connectivity, comradery, and philanthropy that occurs within American sororities.”

“This kind of society consists of a membership for life that transcends the confines of a college campus and will potentially inspire a new network of individuals that seek to influence and encourage one another’s endeavours.”

No doubt the fundamental principles on which this society was built will attract much of the student body, in particular, when the benefits that can be found in American sororities are considered, who have established networking systems and alumni that will aid in the future career aspirations of their members, in and beyond College life. Traditionally, this kind of society consists of a membership for life that transcends the confines of a college campus and will potentially inspire a new network of individuals that seek to influence and encourage one another’s endeavours.