Trinity Ents reveals plans for a Senior Freshers’ Week

Ents Officer Max Lynch said that Ents want older students “to enjoy their first week back on campus”

Trinity Ents (Ents) has announced that it will host events throughout the week of 12 September for returning undergraduate years and postgraduate students.

This marks the second consecutive year that a Senior Freshers’ week will be held on campus separate to the traditional Freshers’ Week.

Senior Freshers’ Week will this year take place alongside the first week of teaching, rather than the previous week as was done last year.

In a statement to Trinity News, Ents said: “We are hosting a traditional Freshers Week, but we also want the older years to enjoy their first week back on campus while the academic pressure isn’t too heavy!”

Ents Officer Max Lynch continued: “We’ve planned a wide variety of events which are all in the final stages of getting approval, and are certain if all goes as planned, everyone will [have an] event they want to go to!”

Lynch added that various approaches to hosting events in line with pandemic restrictions last year “opened our eyes to whats possible on campus, and I’m really trying to learn from it and improve upon it this year.”

Last year’s return to campus saw the use of a marquee in front of the Pavilion Bar (the Pav) for events, as well as live musical performances and film screenings in outdoor spaces such as Library Square.

In 2021, the traditional five-day Freshers’ Fair, organised by the Central Societies Committee (CSC) was reduced to three non-consecutive days in order to reduce the spread of Covid-19.

No societies’ fair was hosted during Senior Freshers’ Week last year, and it is unclear whether this will be the case this year.

Additionally, the CSC, the central body responsible for societies on campus, has been without a chairperson since April 14, and does not intend to elect one until after all year groups return to campus.

Junior Freshers’ Week will commence 19 September due to the delayed start of first year students as a consequence of the late release of Leaving Certificate results. This is the third consecutive year that first year students will begin the academic year later than older year groups.