VDP proves it pays to be a volunteer

The Society of St. Vincent de Paul was crowned the 2010 AIB Society of the year at the Central Societies Committee Annual Societies Ball, which took place on Wednesday 10th March in the Hilton Hotel Dublin.
On hearing of their victory, President of VDP Sean Flynn, declared he was both “surprised and delighted”. Flynn stated that they did not set out the year to win the award, they wanted to enable as many students as possible to volunteer, and in doing so, help as many disadvantaged people as they could. The essence of VDP is to facilitate as many people as possible to live their lives to the maximum. They have continued to enable other students who wish to get involved in helping those less fortunate.
This year VDP ran many events, including the “Big Chrimbo Panto”, where approximately 60 children and 20 adults with intellectual disabilities performed  alongside Trinity students. Furthermore, 64 members recently returned from a 100km trek of the Camino de Santiago in Spain in the hope of raising €12,000 for VDP Zambia. They have also expanded the boundaries of VDP by collaborating with other societies and clubs such as DU Players and the Triathlon Club. This year, VDP has continued to arrange its weekly Soup Run, which expanded to a Friday night run. The overall efficiency of the website has increased in terms of organising Garda Vetting and their webpage.
Flynn insists VDP does not “consist solely of an executive committee of seven people”, but is a collaboration of other societies, the CSC and its members, which “endeavour to help improve the day-to-day lives of many”.
Flynn claims winning is “absolutely unbelievable”, but maintains “it’s not what you get from achieving your goal so much as what you become by achieving your goals that’s important”. Flynn says VDP is pleased to be recognised but insists it “won’t sit back and get complacent!”
VDP won the coveted award, beating off seven other finalists. Among them was the College Historical Society. Auditor Jamie Walsh was gracious in defeat, stating that there is “something special” about VDP, and “no one more deserving than Sean and his fellow VDP members”. Walsh adds that they are a once-in-a-generation group, who go beyond what seems possible. Walsh singles out the “commitment, ability and energy” of the society which “goes to make a real difference in people’s lives”.
2009 winner, DU Orchestral Society, was also among the finalists. Auditor Patricia Sheridan also hails VDP as a “deserving group”, stating that they were delighted for them as they “know how much great work they do, and how dedicated their committee are”.
There were ten other awards distributed at the Awards Ceremony. Details are available on the CSC website.