This week in Trinity: ethical entrepreneurship, the Fall of the Wall and Trans Day of Remembrance

It’s week 11 and with a TMT showcase, Trans Remembrance Day with TCDSU and a whole host of science based events, there’s plenty of reason to escape the library

Week eleven in Trinity is packed full of fun events, proving that even as term starts to draw to a close and deadlines are fast approaching, Trinity’s societies still can find time to put on a show.

MONDAY

Monday kicks off with a screening of The Mask You Live In at 5pm in Aras an Phiarsaigh. DU Gender Equality Society are showing the film to highlight the issues men face with mental health, in conjunction with several sports clubs in celebration of International Men’s day. Meanwhile, at 5.30pm Trinity Talks Science will be broadcasting their November episode in the Global Room. Up for discussion will be luminescence, the IPCC report and Professor Slyvia Draper will speak about her research. At 7pm, DU Alternative Music Society are holding their second open mic of the year in Chaplin’s bar. Guitars and microphones will be provided but any instrument whatsoever can be brought. Also at 7pm, DU Agricultural Society will be hosting its annual table quiz in Doyle’s pub. There’ll be prizes for whoever has the best farming knowledge.

TUESDAY

On Tuesday, it is Transgender Day of Remembrance and TCDSU will be in the Rose Garden at 3pm for a reflection and to remember those who have suffered from transphobia. This will be followed by coffee with Q soc in House 6.

If you’ve ever been interested in a career in science then join DU General Science Society for their Science Careers Night in the Biomedical Sciences Institute at 7pm. Professors, recent graduates, researchers for pharmaceutical companies and specialists in the fields of Physics, Biology and Consultancy will be present. If social science is more your thing then join SOFIA at 7pm in room 5039 of the Arts Block, where they’ll be recapping the results of the US mid-terms and what it means, with assistance from Kevin Lacourse, a teaching assistant in the Political Science Department. Also at 7pm, Cumann Gaelach are hosting Ceardlann Scríbhneoireachta, where Irish writers will help you improve your Irish writing skills.

WEDNESDAY

At 6pm in the Synge Theatre, Vegan Society are holding an Ethical Entrepreneurship Panel. It’s the perfect opportunity to find out how you can set up your own animal rights and eco-friendly business in the future. Afterward, at 7pm Trinity Free Legal Aid Clinic are holding a fair for alternative careers in law in the Robert Emmet theatre. While an internship at a corporate law firm might be tempting with its large starting salary and free scones, FLAC will be revealing the many other opportunities available with speakers including a Legal Adviser from the Department of Foreign Affairs, a Policy and Advocacy Officer of the Irish Refugee Council and the former Director General of the Office of the Attorney General.

DU Dance Society are hosting their winter showcase in Bewleys Café at 7.30pm. Tickets are €10 for the show and afters. Also at 7.30pm, the Hist will be holding their Maidens Final in the GMB, where top first-year debaters will battle it out for an internship with Mason Hayes and Curran. The motion is This House Would Live in a World Without an Afterlife. Would it make us live every moment to the full or would we lie, steal and cheat our way to the top, knowing there would be no repercussions afterward. To help beat the mid-week blues, Ents in collaboration with DU History are hosting the highly anticipated Fall of the Wall. Tickets have sold out and the results are coming out today to tell ticket holders whether they’ll be in East or West Berlin.

THURSDAY

At 5pm in the Eliz Rooms, Fashion Society will be holding an open casting for Models for the Trinity Fashion Show in February. At the same time, Environmental Society are hosting a talk from Dr. Matthew Jebb of the National Botanical Gardens, in the Botany lecture theatre. Jebb is a botanist who has directed a research institute in Papua New, he is the current Director of the Botanical Gardens and has spent years examining all kinds of flora. In room 3027 of the Arts Block at 6pm, DU Amnesty are screening Vessel, a documentary about a young doctor who performed abortions in international waters for women from countries where it is still illegal.

At 7pm, DU Classical Society are holding a lecture from Diane Purkiss on Muses, ancient goddesses of literature, science and the arts, in the Synge theatre. Also at 7pm, DU Germanic Society and Politics Society will be hosting a panel discussion on the rise of the far right and populism in Germany. The panel will include the Irish Times Berlin Correspondent, the Head of Trinity’s German Department and a Professor of European History and should prove an intriguing discussion. Finally, at 7.30pm, the Phil are hosting their weekly debate with Trinity Student Union on the topic This House Believes Society is Failing People with Disabilities. 

FRIDAY

On Friday, TCD Botanical Society will be hosting a BYOM (Bring Your Own Mug) tea-tasting session at 12pm in the Global Room, where you can chill out and relax, trying tea from all across the globe. That evening at 6pm, DU Photography Association will be hosting their annual Christmas photo exhibition, which this year will be on celebrating age. The exhibitions will be spread across different apartments on campus and you’ll have to contact the society for a map if you want to find them all.

As always, there’s an even for almost every kind of interest in Trinity. So don’t be afraid to enjoy them before the dreaded exam season arrives!

Seamus Small

Seamus Small is the current Assistant Societies Editor of Trinity News. He is a Senior Fresh Law and Politics student.