Feeling the groove at Robinson’s night of talent, music, and atmosphere

Robinson, one of three Ents Officer candidates, held a promotional night in Wigwam with a packed, four act line-up

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer candidate Judith Robinson, gave party-goers an insight into Ents under her reign at her event, “Feel the Groove”, in Wigwam on Monday night. The event included a jam-packed line-up, comprising of Notions, Rònàn Connolly, Greg Tisdall, and Distortion resident DJ and Trinity student Rob O’Donohoe.

Robinson noted her experience in organising varied events at Trinity Halls’ hustings before the event, and this was clear to attendees of the event. The four unique acts crammed various eclectic music genres into five short hours. Guests saw Greg Tisdall’s live R&B and indie-rock sounds, with the acts perfectly transitioning from the first to the last, illustrating Robinson’s organisational experience and ability in running events of this nature.

With a focus on pricing, cocktail specials were two for 12, and pints started at 5.50. While not the lowest prices available in town, when taken with the four live acts and free entry, attendees were treated to an eclectic experience for a price rarely seen in Dublin.

With inclusion still a focus for Robinson, the event clearly encapsulated her plans. Wigwam provided a space for both chatting and dancing, and conveyed the diverse interests of the attendees. The event was also wheelchair accessible, as Robinson made clear on the event’s Facebook page.

Speaking to Trinity News following the event, Robinson noted her enjoyment and satisfaction with event and said that “both the attendees and the acts themselves really enjoyed themselves”. Ultimately she noted that there was “a really nice atmosphere”, and that she viewed the night as an overall success.

It was an energetic night, with Robinson ensuring the smooth transition between set, acts, and action on the dance floor. Her eclectic mix of music allowed students of all tastes to mingle seamlessly throughout the night. The layout of the event also allowed attendees an ease of access between bars, tables, and the dancefloors. In a warm, excitable atmosphere, Robinson clearly exemplified her key manifesto points, while also providing students with an enjoyable night out.

This comes a week after Robinson held a DJ set in the Physics Garden, with a “yoga with Judith” event also being held last last Friday. These come as Robinson emphasises her interest in low cost and profitable events, held in both day and night time. Should Robinson be successful in this week’s elections, she will continue to hold events such as this, which “appeal to every student on campus”.

Lily Rice

Lily Rice is a staff writer for Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister PPES student.