This week in Trinity: elections, Arabian music and Waterford Whispers

Week Six has events catering to all students no matter your interest, with a range of guest panel discussions to events sure to relax you

It’s election week already and the campus is in a flurry. If you are looking to escape being chased through campus by campaigners or doing your best to avoid eye-contact one of these events is sure to set you up. The wide selection of events means there is something for everyone, so why not give a new society a shot?

TUESDAY

At 4pm, the Hist will host creator and editor of Waterford Whispers, Colm Williamson. He founded the successful satire site in 2009 as a Facebook page but, after years of growing success, has since launched a website and four books. He will be discussing the founding of the site, and the Hist will be awarding Williamson the Burke Medal for Outstanding Contribution To Art.

At 6pm, there will be a talk on Islam and feminism given by Dr Roja Fazaeli, hosted by the Phil and Trinity Global Development Society in the GMB. Fazaeli is the Chairperson of the Immigrant Council of Ireland, and a lecturer of Islamic Civilisations and Middle Eastern Studies in Trinity. She will be discussing her book, Islamic Feminisms: Rights and Interpretations Across Generations in Iran, and will be speaking about a variety of topics from human rights to religion and gender. Meanwhile, the General Science Society will have an event celebrating women in science. The event aims to highlight their contributions by asking students to vote for classmates, staff, and mentors who they feel deserve merit, there will be food and drink for all who attend.

WEDNESDAY

In preparation for Women’s Day on March 8, there are gender-focused events on Wednesday. At 11am, the Gender Equality Society are hosting a Nurtures journaling event, to encourage living in the moment, and discussing this positive mindset along with tea for all attendees to relax. At 5.30pm, there will be a panel on Gender Issues in Research and Academia hosted by the Psychological Society and the Gender Equality Society. They will welcome Dr Frédérique Vallierés, Dr Clare Kelly, Dr Emilie Pine, Dr Pablo Gracia, and Shubhangi Karmaker, to speak on the gender-based issues in the world of academia.

At the same time, there is a concert in the Grand Social hosted by the Arabesque Society in collaboration with the UCD and DIT Arabesque societies. There will be live music performances including everything from classic Arabic tunes to original songs with Arabian influence. Tickets are only €9 and it will be an event filled with singing and celebration. You can take a needed study break at a free film screening of Scott Pilgrim vs The World in Chaplin’s Bar at 7pm. This event is hosted by the Alternative Music Society and Film Soc as part of their weekly movie screenings. At 8pm, Players is bringing back Stars in Their Eyes 2019. The event is a competitive performance or lip sync where you have the chance to dress up as someone and imitate a performance. Even if you aren’t interested in entering, it will be entertaining to watch.

THURSDAY

At 5pm, the Arabesque Society are having a contemporary calligraphy workshop in the Eliz room in House Six where you can learn freestyle calligraphy art from visual artist Roxana Manouchehri. It’s only €4 and all materials will be provided! In the evening, at 6pm, the Volunteer Tuition Programme are hosting a talk on careers with purpose where there will be information on jobs in the NGO, not-for-profit, and social entrepreneurship sectors. There will be an opportunity to speak with professionals in these fields including Oxfam, Simon Community, Amnesty International, the Irish Refugee Council, The Peter McVerry Trust, and many more. For anyone considering any of these professions, it is an opportunity to go and ask some questions.

At the same time of 6pm, Student2Student are hosting a speak your mind panel discussion, to tackle student issues such as coping in stressful times, and the importance of sharing with others. They will be speaking about how to become more comfortable speaking your mind and about sharing about mental illness. At 7pm, there will be a panel discussion hosted by the Law Society on women in leadership in Regent House. The Panelists include Sinead Burke, who is a fashion and disability activist and Contributing Editor of Vogue, Dee Forbes who is the first female Director-General of RTE, Iseult Ward, CEO of Foodcloud, and Tara Flynn who is an Irish comedian, writer, and actress. The event is in advance of International Women’s Day and it is necessary to reserve a free ticket online in advance of the day. Be sure to sign up soon as spaces are running out.

Maeve Breathnach

Maeve Breathnach is the current Assistant Societies Editor of Life. She is a Junior Fresh English Literature and Maths student.