This week in Trinity: Data protection in 18th century China and a murder mystery ball

Hilary Term week 2 has plenty in store

As January draws to a close and the memory of the Christmas break rapidly fades away, we are once again faced with assignments, deadlines, and the dreaded yet inevitable back-to-college sniffles. However, there are plenty of weird and wonderful society events being held this week to distract us from our misery. From political debates to glamorous balls, there is something for everybody to enjoy.

Music and history buffs alike should head to the GMB on Tuesday at 12pm, where a Bram Stoker paper entitled An Alternative Ulster: Northern Ireland and the Troubles will be presented by Jules O’Toole. In case you didn’t get the Stiff Little Fingers reference, the paper explores the relationship between punk-rock music and the Northern Ireland conflict. Directly afterwards, at 1pm, you can pop to the Attic, where the bookworms at LitSoc will be chatting about Essays, Speeches, Articles and the Limits of Literature. Likewise, a timely event considering the impending election will be hosted by QSoc on Tuesday evening in the Arts Building. Here, you can learn the best ways to lobby your TDs, which, of course, is a vitally important skill within the current political climate.

On Wednesday January 29th, Trinity Long Room Hub are hosting an event on Data Protection and Privacy in Eighteenth Century China in celebration of the Chinese New Year. Hosted by Dublin Chinese New Year Festival and Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute, tickets are free and available via Eventbrite. In the evening if you’re up for partying, Lawsoc are hosting a charity concert from 7-11pm with performers including Etáin, Eve Belle, Kae and Amy Naessans in Lost Lane with all proceeds going to Women’s Aid. Tickets are €10.85 including booking fees. DU Dance are hosting a KPOP dance workshop in the Arts Building at 7pm if you’d prefer to learn to dance before attending a party. Trinity Musical Theatre Society and DU Players also have an evening event entitled “The Sound of Boozic”, entry is €2 and involves “an ensemble of actors from both TMT and DU Players, each actor will pick a character out of the hat, get costumed and go!”

The parties don’t seem to end with “A Party To Die For: A Murder Mystery Ball” by DU Music and Trinity Literary Society on Thursday evening. Tickets are €25 with the event taking place in Lost Lane; it promises to be a mysterious 1920s themed night out. Former Irish ambassador to Germany, Michael Collins will be giving a talk on German Irish relations with DU Germanic Society at 5pm in the Eliz Room, House 6, and Justice Michael Kirby will be receiving the Trinity College Praeses Elit Award 2020 with Law Soc at 6.30pm in the Uí Chadhain Theatre.

On Friday at 7pm, famed surgeon Henry Marsh will be chatting to BioSoc in the Business School’s AK Dargan Lecture Theatre. Whether you are an aspiring medical professional or  have read Marsh’s acclaimed memoirs, this talk is guaranteed to be fascinating. Then, if Thursday’s Murder Mystery Ball does not tickle your fancy, why not head to TCD Arabesque’s Arab Ball instead? It will be held from 7pm on Friday in the Gibson Hotel, and comes with a three course halal dinner.

Also over the weekend, Vegan Soc and Yoga Soc have organised a cliff walk from Bray to Greystones finishing at the Happy Pear Restaurant on Saturday at 12pm. The annual VDP panto is also on Saturday and Sunday in Belvedere College’s O’Reilly Theatre. Featuring 100 kids and 40 adults, this production of Hercules should be a night to remember. Tickets are €10.

Alison Traynor

Alison Traynor is the current Life Editor of Trinity News.

Suzanne Flynn

Suzanne Flynn is the current Deputy Life Editor for Trinity News, and a Senior Sophister Law and German student.