Socially distanced dating: Zoom edition

Switching up your online dating life one zoom at a time

Another March rolls around and most of us have had more lockdowns than in-person dates in the last year. There is a definite dating app fatigue, constant talking stages that fizzle out and endless facetime calls with not a whole lot to talk about because nothing is happening. That is just where online dating comes in – a fun way to spice up your Covid-19 dating life in a safe, socially-distanced way. Whether it be a hopeful tinder match you want to get to know better, or a date with your long-distance partner that’s more than a quick phone call, here is some inspiration for your next zoom date night. 

“The iconic zoom quiz also rarely fails, there’s nothing like a bit of competition to fill the void of lockdown days.”

Zoom games have become something of a cultural phenomenon in the last year, not just in terms of dating, but also for spending some quality time with friends when there’s not much else to do during a level 5 lockdown. You name it, you can make a zoom game out of it. Blow off some steam and have a bit of hard-earned fun. You could go old school with some zoom charades (bonus points for charades of inside jokes), hangman and 2 person pictionary on the zoom whiteboard. Virtual Cards Against Humanity is always a winner, ditto with Psych (essentially secret roasting of one another), though those may be better options for a group zoom or something a little less intimate than a one-on-one call if you’re trying to muster up a little romance. The iconic zoom quiz also rarely fails, there’s nothing like a bit of competition to fill the void of lockdown days.

There’s also a multitude of apps and chrome extensions you can get your hands on for something a little different. Netflix parties are a great option for a first date from the safety of your own home. Why not play a drinking game while watching an iconically cringy film, or cry together watching The Notebook? You can binge watch The Office, bake along with the technical challenges of The Great British Bake Off, or have a whole Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings marathon. Another app worth a mention is Photo Roulette, available for free on the app store and sure to make your date night a little more exciting. It requires a little bit of trust as it involves surrendering your camera roll to other players, but can be a brilliant ice breaker when you are trying to get to know each other and each others’ friends and hobbies (do make sure to censor your camera roll before playing for the sake of your dignity, though!). 

There is something really special and vulnerable about eating with someone, so why would that same sentiment not carry over into your virtual dating life?”

There is nothing to stop you from engaging in traditional dates over zoom, either. Get all dressed up in your finery and cook dinner together in your respective homes, or order takeaway to each other’s houses and catch up over your meal together like you would in real life. There is something really special and vulnerable about eating with someone, so why would that same sentiment not carry over into your virtual dating life? Make it a big deal with a three course meal; it’s not any less valid or important just because it happens to be online. There is also a viral trend of signature cocktail nights, where you and your partner teach one another how to make your favourite cocktails and enjoy a tipsy mixology lesson together. If all else fails, call it a night and crack open a can together, that’s sure to be just as fun. 

Whilst there may be some limit on what you can do with your partner on a zoom date, that doesn’t mean there has to be a limit on the enjoyment that you get out of the time you have together. The most important thing to remember is to be creative with what you and your partner do together and adapt it to a virtual, socially distanced context. If you enjoy going book shopping and cafe hopping together, you could read the same book or watch the same film separately and dedicate an entire call to talking about it in all immense detail over your favourite coffee. If you are a gallery moocher, have a paint and prosecco night and create your next masterpiece together whilst you enjoy your partner’s company. The secret is adaptability and making the best out of a situation that is certainly impacting the success of so many of our dating lives. You may surprise yourself by keeping an open mind. On the bright side, because of this in-person dating hiatus, you don’t even have to wear pants on a first date.

Kerry O'Sullivan

Kerry O'Sullivan is the sex and relationships editor of Trinity News 2020/21 and is a senior fresh student of middle eastern and european languages and cultures.