Is summer making us chase elusive happiness?

Prachi Tailor explores the influences that cause us to romanticise summer

During the summer, Instagram dumps and BeReals are flooded with pictures of people frolicking at music festivals, dining at trendy restaurants, and sporting smiles that seem to know no sorrow. The pervasive question of “What are you doing this summer?” can either fill you with excitement to enthusiastically share your elaborate plans, or trigger anxiety as you scramble to devise interesting activities to avoid appearing dull in comparison. 

An undeniable trend emerges: when the season comes to an end, we celebrate solitude and sadness, romanticising them as poetic and deep. However, during summer, any notion of sadness is radically rejected. By looking at the influences of summers past and present, we can ask ourselves the question: has summer always been synonymous with an unrealistic and extensive sense of joy? And is it really attainable?

Historical influences on summer break

The prevailing notion of happiness tied to summer can be traced back to summer breaks in medieval life. The word “holiday” finds its origins in “holy days,” signifying a saint’s day in the Christian calendar, providing time off work and a reason to celebrate. Just as holy days were religious festivals, the option of leaving your home to have fun seeing the world was done on the basis of pilgrimage. Chaucer’s famous Canterbury Tales tells the story of a group of pilgrims travelling to Canterbury, and while some of them were motivated by strong religious feelings, others just want a chance to meet new people, spend time away from home, see a bit more of the world and enjoy themselves — much like people going on holiday today. 

This continued into the 18th century, with the emergence of the Grand Tour. This was a sophisticated gap year for upper-class young men in Britain and America after graduating from Oxford or Cambridge. They saw it as an extension of their education. They visited historical sites, viewed art and architecture, practised language skills, socialized in upper-class society, and learned various skills. The principles of the Grand Tour are still relevant today, as tourists today often visit museums, buy souvenirs, practice language skills, and absorb local culture.

“As time has progressed and the lines between the social stratification weaved into each other, the idea of summer is still associated with elitism..”

Throughout history, summer has been a time for travel, networking, and accumulating stories to share during gatherings. However, this pursuit of joy in summer came with a sense of elitism, suggesting that only those with high intellect and wealth can truly appreciate these activities. As time has progressed and the lines between the social stratification weaved into each other, the idea of summer is still associated with elitism, with these activities still carrying on today with a fundamental notion of coolness. The idea of interrailing in Europe is still overly aestheticized, only now in a more inclusive manner. However, the prevailing connotation of happiness in the summer establishes that it is only attainable through a regular cycle of socializing.

Pop Cultural influences on summer break

The concept of an excessively optimistic and carefree summer is reflected not only in societal perception but also within the realm of music. During this vibrant season, when compared to the more introspective and contemplating tones of fall and winter, musical compositions tend to abandon deep and profound lyrics or significant cultural themes. Instead, they embrace themes centred around enjoyment, social interaction, and drinking. Albums, such as Chance the Rapper’s The Big Day, are characterized by their exuberant and uplifting qualities. They often feature buoyant choruses and optimistic melodies, conjuring vivid images of a sunlit world where everything seems to sparkle with brilliance and life feels more effortless and carefree. 

Artists like Harry Styles consciously align their creative expression with the prevailing summer atmosphere to evoke a happier and more energetic mood in their audience.”

In this artistic interplay, a fascinating bi-directional relationship emerges between the musicians and the summer itself. Artists like Harry Styles consciously align their creative expression with the prevailing summer atmosphere to evoke a happier and more energetic mood in their audience. Conversely, the listeners, already primed with the mood of the season, are more receptive to these vivacious and uplifting musical compositions, further enhancing their summertime experience.

Societal influences on summer break 

The pressure exerted by social norms and expectations regarding happiness often compels individuals to conform to certain ideals. This subsequently fosters a sense of inadequacy and even jealousy. Ironically, the liberty to make our own decisions in the summer lead us to feel pressured to have fun. This notion that we should be having the most enjoyable and exciting experience during this season results in individuals feeling pressured to create memorable moments and participate in various activities to prove that they are living live to the fullest. For individuals dealing with mental health issues, such as social anxiety or depression, this can be particularly challenging and trigger further emotional distress. Furthermore, the selective nature of social media can create a distorted perception of reality, making it difficult for individuals to appreciate their own unique experiences and accomplishments. Fear of missing out amplifies this unease, especially with the constant exposure to other’s activities on social media. 

This behaviour is comparable to the comfort some people found in wearing masks during the pandemic; concealing facial features allowed for a sense of security and anonymity.”

Moreover, as the climate encourages wearing lighter and more revealing clothes, it draws significant attention to various parts of our bodies that may not be as noticeable during the colder months when we can comfortably cover-up. This behaviour is comparable to the comfort some people found in wearing masks during the pandemic; concealing facial features allowed for a sense of security and anonymity. Individuals can feel like a scrutinizing magnifying glass is placed over them when they decide to wear items like bikinis or shorts. The fear of being comfortable in our own skin can lead individuals to retreat from activities they once enjoyed. 

To Conclude…

As we navigate the complexities of the summer and its associations with happiness, it is essential to remember that life is multifaceted, and it is okay to experience a range of emotions during this season. Instead of chasing an unrealistic and exaggerated sense of joy, we need to strive for genuine moments of happiness and find meaning in the full spectrum of emotions that arise during this season. Ultimately, the pursuit of happiness need not be a rigid adherence to societal expectations but rather an exploration of what brings us true joy and fulfilment.