Soup: A new recipe book for the winter

Thana Elshaafi attends the Blasta Books talk on soup recipes from all over the world

In the world of food, no dish holds the universal appeal and comfort that a bowl of steaming soup does. That is what the authors of Soup, a recipe book that includes a versatile selection of soups from around the world, said when they sat down to discuss their new book with their audience during an event for the Dublin book festival . Blanca, Dee and Mei have been hosting their award-winning podcast Spicebags, where for four years they have discussed the Irish culinary scene. Each with a slightly different culinary background, they came together to create Spicebags, which eventually led to the creation of Soup.The recipes included in the book reflect the authors’ culinary experiences and those of their friends, who all came together to create a collection of recipes, each of which holds a special story to its authors.

While writing this book, they mention the clash in cultural backgrounds when attempting to define what soup is”

The identity of soup itself is somewhat controversial. As mentioned by Dee and Blanca, each person has their own idea of soup. In some countries soup can be cold, in others hot and depending on which type it is, it can be blended or a combination of meat and vegetables in a flavourful broth. While writing this book, they mention the clash in cultural backgrounds when attempting to define what soup is. Dee mentioned her shock at gazpacho, a cold soup that is often consumed in Spain, since her idea of soup was something warm to have during the winter months. This led to each of them writing an amusing introduction to the book where they discussed what soup means to them.

One of the remarkable aspects of soup is its versatility. From the more hearty stews to the spice-infused bowls of Nigerian cuisine, this book has a soup for every taste and occasion. Whether it’s a creamy garlic soup or a chunky harira soup, the variety of soups in the book allows for the exploration of the typical flavours in each cuisine. Due to the uniqueness of the soups, the ingredients are often hard to find in Irish supermarkets. The authors decided to create a list of specialty stores where all the ingredients they used for their recipes may be found. On their website, Spicebags, they also created shopped guides based on the cuisine that the recipes originated from.

However, in some cases, the authors did not even need to get the ingredients themselves. They mention how they were invited to the house of the Colombian ambassador and were served a traditional soup known as Ajiaco, that has also been included in the book. The hosts of the Spicebags podcast had many of these fun experiences as they tried soups prepared by individuals who had grown up on these traditional recipes. While trialling all the soups which they intended to include in the book, there were some soups that did not quite turn out as they intended. Dee and Blanca mentioned their first attempt at making a Nigerian soup and how that did not turn out as they had planned. A similar experience was encountered while making the French onion soup. The recipe had been provided to them by a French chef who had his own unique twist on the recipe which created an unfamiliar flavour to what they were accustomed to from this soup. Through trial and error, the soups were perfected by the trio to create a delicious collection of recipes.

Garnishes play a pivotal role in transforming a simple bowl of soup into something much more appealing and flavoursome, which the authors took into account for each of the soups. Beyond mere decoration, these additions contributed to the overall sensory experience during the meal as they influenced the taste, aroma, and visual appeal of the dish.The vibrant colours and textures of fresh herbs, sliced vegetables, or cream not only make the soup visually appealing but also more appetising. Garnishes provide an opportunity to introduce diverse textures to a soup. 

Blanca mentions how often garnishes are what elevates the soups into a more enticing dish, the addition of various textures and colours adds to both the flavour profile and appeal of the soup”

Crispy croutons, crunchy nuts, or finely chopped chives can add a satisfying crunch, complementing the smoothness of the soup. Blanca mentions how often garnishes are what elevates the soups into a more enticing dish, the addition of various textures and colours adds to both the flavour profile and appeal of the soup.

Among all cuisines, soup stands out as a timeless and comforting meal. Cooking soup is an enjoyable experience and the range of difficulty in preparing it makes it suitable for anyone from those who rarely spend time in the kitchen to seasoned chefs. So, if you would like to add more variety to your soup recipe rotation or impress a friend, consider Soup to introduce you to an array of flavours that you may not otherwise experience.