Brídín Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce elected editor of the University Times with 53% of vote

Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce defeated Charlie Hastings by in the UT editor race by 148 votes

Brídín Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce has been elected the next editor of the University Times (UT) by a narrow margin of 1,105 votes.

Her opponent Charlie Hastings received 957 of votes. 119 voted to re-open nominations and 225 votes were spoiled.

Speaking after the results, Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce said: “I am so excited, I am so happy that the student body thought I would do a good job at the University Times.”

“I’m really excited to reflect student experience and to work as a journalist myself.”

Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce has previously served as deputy news editor of UT and head copyeditor of Evergreen.

She was previously co-editor of TN2 Magazine.

Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce has also contributed to Evergreen Magazine, Trinity News and Gay Community News.

Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce ran on a platform of prioritising “kindness” in UT. She also hopes to appoint an equity officer and an Erasmus editor to the paper. She highlighted plans to introduce “new voices” to UT.

She has spoken against making the UT editor role impeachable, an issue widely discussed during campaigning.

Trinity News’ poll of 339 students predicted Hastings would with 48% of first preference votes, while Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce followed closely with 43% of the votes.

Kate Byrne

Kate Byrne is the Deputy Comment Editor at Trinity News and is currently in her Junior Sophister Year studying History and Political Science.