Voter turnout for sabbatical election highest since 2020, estimates suggest

Over 2,400 people voted in this year’s election, according to preliminary estimates by the Electoral Commission

2,457 students voted in this year’s Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical election, according to preliminary estimates from the Electoral Commission (EC).

While these numbers are not final, it puts this year’s sabbatical elections on track to narrowly beat out turnout in the 2020 election (2,426), the last time there was an in-person ballot.

The majority of votes, 2,315, were cast in-person, the first year since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic forced elections to take place online.

Not all ballots casted will have voted in every single election, with the presidential race typically having the highest turnout.

This year’s estimated turnout is significantly higher than last year’s, which took place online and saw a turnout of 1,882 in the presidential election.

3,355 students voted in the 2019 presidential race.

Voting in the Arts Building saw the highest estimated turnout at 1,605, followed by the Hamilton ballot at 548 and the School of Nursing and Midwifery on D’Olier street at 47.

43 and 10 were cast in St James’ Hospital and Tallaght University Hospital respectively, where students are currently on placement.

38 students voted from Trinity Hall, 19 votes were cast from the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), and 15 voted from the Dublin Dental University Hospital (DDUH).

The ballots are currently being counted by the EC and election results will be announced tonight in Lost Lane.

Ruby Topalian

Ruby Topalian is a Senior Freshman, Dual BA student of Middle Eastern and European Languages and Cultures. She is the current Features Editor of Trinity News, having previously worked as Deputy Societies Editor.