Campus coffee hours

Honey Morris dives into the coffee hours of Q-Soc and French Soc, thinking about what makes a good coffee hour, and how coffee makes everything better

Meeting new people, going to new places, and having new experiences can be overwhelming for anyone; but like most things in life, coffee makes it better. 

Across campus, there are several coffee hours that are hosted by different societies. A coffee hour is a small event hosted by a society (often on a weekly or monthly basis) where members new and old are welcomed to attend. Frequently, these will last one to two hours and people can come and go as they please. A committee member (or a few) will be there to host the event and answer questions if needed. 

Since these are more low-key events, they are excellent ways to begin your involvement with a society. These social gatherings are a smaller, more laid-back way to meet new people, get to know other members of the society, and talk to some of the committee members. Coffee hours are also the prime event to bring a friend to; there is no expectation to be ‘“involved” in anything besides sharing a hot drink and perhaps a conversation with some other lovely people. 

Q-soc answered some questions about their coffee hour – and French-soc about their “Café et Croissants” – to give insight to what newcomers can expect. 

Q-Soc 

Honey: In your opinion, what makes a good coffee hour? The coffee, the people, the place or something else?

Q-Soc: People are what make coffee hours the joy that they are.

Being able to share a space with people without paying or having to do anything beyond being kind and polite is something that makes coffee hours special. There’s a lot of value in knowing that there is always this place of community where you are welcome and wanted.

Honey: How would you describe the overall “vibe” of Q-soc coffee hours?

Q-Soc: Our coffee hours are very casual and relaxed. The tone in conversations generally stays light but naturally varies widely in subject. Since we are a society for a community as opposed to a specific interest, discussions can range anywhere from effective seagull CPR to how capstone projects are going. 

Honey: If a new member was nervous about coming to one, what would you say to them?

Q-Soc: You really are welcome to come and join a coffee hour however you’d like. Whether that’s for five minutes, popping in midway through, or in complete silence, you are welcome and wanted in our coffee hours. They can be a great way to meet new people, break up the day a little, or even just for a free cup of tea or coffee on a cold day. Also, don’t be afraid to avail of our inclusion scheme! If you want to go to any event or coffee hour with a guaranteed friendly face to go with, you can just email Lance, our Inclusions Officer, at [email protected].

Honey: Do you think coffee hours help bring people closer within the society? 

Q-Soc: Absolutely. I know myself and several others who are quite involved in the society started out by attending coffee hours. It’s quite an easy thing to become part of your schedule, as even if you can’t make the same day or time each and every week, you start to imagine it as a concrete part of the college landscape. Whenever you have a couple minutes to kill from one to three o’clock, there is always this guaranteed space where you can sit, kill time, and have a bit of chat. There’s a range of people showing up to each coffee hour but inevitably you do see the same people at other coffee hours or events and it becomes an easy way to fall into making friends. It also proves to be a pretty easy gateway into becoming more involved in the broader community beyond college, since you can really easily meet someone to go to other queer events with from Small Trans Library film screenings to protests. 

French Soc

French Soc: In my opinion the people definitely make a good coffee hour. Because who doesn’t love spending quality time with others and chatting about life to unwind [and] take a break from everyday life? On another note, as a big coffee lover, I believe good quality coffee is also essential and contributes to this good chatting time. The place and the people can definitely make a good coffee hour. The people to have a good chat, the place to lighten up the mood. Nice people and a good setting can compensate for a bad coffee.

French Soc: I’d say it is very laid-back, social and fun! We always meet nice people and have good chats. It really feels like the perfect setting for a break in between classes, not too serious and quite chill.

French Soc: I would tell them to come because it really helps to get to know everyone better and feel included and part of a nice team of people equally interested in French culture (and because of the free croissants, of course). Come to at least one and you’ll see it is a great weekly meeting, no need to speak French; no one expects anything from you. Just be there and enjoy, there are no reasons to be nervous as the people are totally welcoming and open.

French Soc: I definitely think coffee hours help bring people closer within the French society because it’s a moment where everyone gets to talk to each other and we also often play games which helps create ties and connections with everyone!

End of Interview 

With this insight, be sure to take a look through some society Instagram pages and pick a coffee hour that interests you!