Dublin’s top bakeries for a weekend treat according to Trinity News

Sloane Walsh & Alice Matty give you the lowdown on where to go for your weekend treat

Vegan Treats 

The hunt for vegan treats in Dublin’s City Centre is a challenge – which has significantly eased in recent years with the introduction of many non-animal sourced baked goods, with Ireland ranking in 10th place as the most popular country for veganism for 2020 in a report conducted by Chef’s Pencil.

The popularity of veganism in Ireland has steadily increased over the past decade, with a shift towards plant-based diets.

The increase in veganism can be attributed to concerns about animal welfare, environmental impact, and health benefits. Social media and local bakeries have also raised awareness of veganism, making it more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. 

Whether you’re dairy-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, or just searching for plant-based dessert options, it’s nice to have personal recommendations. Bakeries in Dublin 2 with a focus on vegan specialities include:

• The Rolling Donut (includes a vegan option for most doughnuts!) – King St., Dublin 2
  • Sweet Churro (all churros are vegan with vegan chocolate sauce) – Dame St., Dublin 2
  • Camerino Bakery Cafè (vegan cakes) – Merrion Square, Dublin 2
  • Queen of Tarts (vegan chocolates) – Temple Bar, Dublin 2
  • Dolce Sicily (vegetarian sweets, vegan breads & coffees) – Anne St., Dublin 2

Health-Conscious Snacks

Organic delicacies that are unprocessed are healthy and satisfying snacks during a typical college day. Macrobiotics allow for the incorporation of a dietary regimen that includes locally grown natural foods. These treats are typically low in calories and fat while being high in fibre. There are also many sugar free options in Dublin if you’re looking to lower your sugar intake.

Spots in Dublin to grab some of these unprocessed and health-conscious treats are abundant and listed below:

• Blazing Salads (sugar-free cakes & organic sourdough bread) – 42 Drury St., Dublin 2
  • Bread 41 (organic ingredients) – Pearse St., Dublin 2
  • Fumbally (organic treats with gluten-free options) – The Liberties, Dublin 8
  • Bretzel Bakery (sugar-free and organic options) – Portobello, Dublin 8
  • Bread Naturally (all bread produced home-made with organic flour!) – Raheny, Dublin 5

Budget-Friendly Specialities

‘College student’ and ‘budget’ are synonymous as we all know! While many of us all love the occasional luxurious delicacy (Dublin also has a lot of amazing but more expensive bakeries if you desire a more luxurious sweet treat), we usually need goods that are affordable. Although Dublin is a very expensive city, there are quite a few low-cost and delicious bakeries that will be sure to catch your attention. A few of these are frequented by students because of Dublin’s large population of students and their cheap menu. 

Dublin 2 (and its surrounding area) has a range of affordable bakeries, including:

• Krüst Bakery – Baggot St. Lower, Dublin 2
  • Panem – Ormond Quay Lower , Dublin 2
  • Ann’s Bakery – Mary St., Dublin 1  
  • Hansel and Gretel Bakery & Patisserie – 20 Clare St, Dublin 2
  • Mannings Bakery — The Liberties, Dublin 8
  • The Corner Bakery – Terenure Road – Dublin 8

International Treats to Try

Being a Trinity student means meeting all kinds of people from around the world and learning about different cultures. Not only that: being in Europe allows us to travel and experience these cultures and food. But why buy a plane ticket when you can eat sweet treats from around the world right here in Dublin? 

Some of our favourites:

• Le Petit Four (Japanese French Patisserie) – Temple Bar, Dublin 2
  • Bakeology Treats (Argentinian Bakery) – 43 Meath St, Dublin 8 (The Liberties)
  • Il Fornaio (Italian treats and food) – Dame St, Dublin 2
  • Lisboa Pasteleria (Portuguese Bakery) – 7 St. Andrews St, Dublin 2
  • Il Valentino (Italian Bakery) – Gallery Quay 5, Dublin 2
  • Hong Kong Taste Bakery and Bubble Tea – 21 Eden Quay, Dublin 1
  • Sugar Loaf Bakery and Pastry Shop (Brazilian Bakery) – Dorset St. Lower, Dublin 1

Gluten-Free Snacks

Millions of people around the world have coeliac disease and have to stick to a non-gluten diet. However, without the proper grains, you can lose quite a few vitamins that you need in your daily diet to contribute to your health. Therefore, it’s important that people with coeliac disease can have easy access to the vitamins in gluten-free flour and bread/treats, etc. It is also important to find gluten-free options that taste good! 

Here’s a list of Dublin Bakeries in or near the City Centre that have gluten-free options and also taste absolutely delicious!

• Pepperpot Cafè (gluten-free cakes) – William St., Dublin 2
  • Accents Coffee & Tea Lounge (GF desserts, organic teas) – Stephen Street Lower, Dublin 2
  • The Natural Bakery (GF options) – Baggot St. Lower, Dublin 2
  • Legit Coffee Co. (gluten-free options and a lot of vegan options) – The Liberties, Dublin  8
  • GF Bakery (cakes all gluten-free + often dairy, egg, soy, milk etc. free) – Gardiner St., Dublin 1
  • Cloud 9 (gluten-free brownies + other treats including ice cream) – Temple Bar, Dublin 2

Whether it is something that is budget-friendly or a snack that adheres to your dietary requirements, we hope that this comprehensive guide aids you in locating a new favourite bakery in Dublin!

Alice Matty

Alice Matty is a Sex and Relationships Deputy Editor and is currently in her Junior Sophister Year studying Economics and Business.