100 years in Ronda

Ronda provides the perfect escape from the city to a quiet town rich with history

Cheap drinks. Coastal party towns. Crazy party islands. The perfect destination for a lad’s holiday. Spain has a reputation and Ryanair will fly you right into its biggest party hubs. But what if you’re craving a chill Spanish holiday absolved of the fear of pickpockets lurking around every bustling city corner? Maybe you’re hoping for a holiday where you wake up feeling, not deathly hungover, but ready for a day of exploring. Maybe some of you can party all night and still rise for an 8am start, in which case you are of a different breed. 

Regardless, Ronda, a town which rests atop a gorge two hours outside of Malaga by bus (only €10-20) provides the perfect escape from the city to a quiet town rich with history and adorned with stunning views. Known as “the Eagle’s Nest”, its high vantage point endowed it with strategic importance throughout Spanish history. Since Ronda is quite close to the Mediterranean, there is a surplus of seafood, and the drive from Malaga provides a beautifully scenic, albeit nerve wracking, tour of Spanish countryside through narrow mountainous roads. 

History

“To this day, the Arab Baths Archeological site remains a top tourist attraction, an ode to the Moorish era”

One of the oldest towns in Spain, Ronda’s original name was Arunda. As an essential post during the Second Punic War, it prospered under Roman occupation. When the Moors invaded Spain in 711, Ronda served as the region’s capital; war was essential for the city’s peacetime development. During the Moorish era, Muslim mosques replaced Roman and Visigoth buildings. When it was reconquered in 1485, the mosques were converted into churches; however, to this day, the Arab Baths Archeological site remains a top tourist attraction, an ode to the Moorish era. While it suffered under French occupation between the 15th and 17th centuries, its population today stands at 35,000 and its culture and historical sites perch proudly 750 metres above sea level. 

Weather

Considering its lofty position in the clouds, it’s no wonder that the wind takes centre stage most days. That umbrella will be useless, but not to worry, its Mediterranean climate means dry summers and mild winters so despite the wind chill, temperatures are bearable all year round. 

Puente Nuevo (New Bridge)

While not a big city, Ronda still has beautiful sites to see and things to do. Its most distinctive feature is the Puente Nuevo. Standing at 98 metres tall, it is the largest of the bridges that connect two sides of the gorge over the Guadalevin River. Built in 1735 and rebuilt in 1759, Puente Nuevo is a sight to behold. From its towering viewpoint, the outline of the distant Spanish mountains create a glorious skyline which looks even more majestic as the sun lowers behind them at the end of the day creating orange and pinkish hues. The setting sun’s golden light also dances along Ronda’s own rocky cliff drops, creating the perfect photo opportunity. 

“Not out in time for sunset? Not to worry. Once the sky goes dark, street lamps and lighting fixtures set the bridge aglow with a radiant and mysterious atmosphere”

Not out in time for sunset? Not to worry. Once the sky goes dark, street lamps and lighting fixtures set the bridge aglow with a radiant and mysterious atmosphere. While the view from the bridge is incredible, the view of the bridge, as seen from the Paseo de Blas Infante provides just as enchanting of an experience. No matter what the time of the day, its towering vantage point provides breathtaking views of the beautiful surrounding countryside. 

Casa del Rey Moro

Located only a four-minute walk from the Puente Nuevo, the Casa del Rey Moro provides beautiful views of the new bridge, incredible hanging gardens and access to a mine that brings you down to the bottom of the gorge from which you can admire the heights of Ronda’s cliffs. With only a €10 entry fee, the gardens and mine are absolutely worth every penny. 

The Moorish-style hanging gardens are reminiscent of a previous era in Ronda’s history in which mosques prevailed over churches. Situated in the old town, the gardens provide a clear view of the white buildings that adorn Ronda’s new town just across the gorge. In the distance, grape vines dot the countryside framed by darkened mountains. 

“Climbing down through the side of the gorge, the mine spits you out at the side of the river that shaped the garage itself”

If you’re willing, the gardens also provide access to a water mine fitted with 231 steps that take you down to the bottom of the gorge. Built in the 14th century, the mine was originally used to supply the population with water in case of a siege. Climbing down through the side of the gorge, the mine spits you out at the side of the river that shaped the garage itself. Be sure to carry a jacket, for even on the brightest of days, the bottom of the gorge falls into the shadow of the high cliffs that rise on either side, although after 231 steep and slippery steps, the cool air may come as a welcome presence. 

Mirador La Hoya Del Tajo

Up for a tame hike? Tajo is the ultimate lookout point. A one kilometre walk from the new bridge itself, Tajo allows you to view Puente Nuevo in all its glory. It is one thing to view the arches from the level height and proximity of Mirador de Ronda and the restaurants that line the top of the gorge, but to view its grandeur from afar elevates its magnificence. Its brick, dignified structure appears to cut through the cliff sides almost as if it itself is an extension of the landscape, proudly preserving and displaying the dignity and strength of the city. 

Food

Ronda is definitely a place to visit with a travel companion purely because paella is served for two. At first glance, the prices for the dish look exorbitantly expensive, but split between two people, the dish becomes much more affordable. 

“Sitting out in the sun with a coffee and toast topped with iberian ham is a great way to experience Ronda’s chill yet vibrant atmosphere”

Coffee: the college version of the Big Mac Index. Ronda’s coffee is cheaper than its Irish counterpart with the average americano costing €1.90 and a cappuccino costing €2.40. The coffee shops on the Plaza de España, centrally situated next to Puente Nuevo, also offer gelato and breakfast options to pair with your coffee. While none of the coffee shops in the area have much indoor dining room, sitting out in the sun with a coffee and toast topped with iberian ham is a great way to experience Ronda’s chill yet vibrant atmosphere.

Ronda provides a very distinct experience compared to other Spanish cities. For the fast paced travellers, you may be able to experience Ronda, the abridged version, in just a day, but if you do decide to stay a couple nights there are absolutely things you can fill your time with. Between the unique scenery and rich culture, this fairyland in the clouds is well worth a visit.